Church of Our Lady
A major parish church in the town, the Notre-Dame church is a beautiful 13th century Gothic building. In the 15th century it was used as a repository for weights and measures.
A major parish church in the town, the Notre-Dame church is a beautiful 13th century Gothic building whose large porch, which spilled out onto the square, was destroyed shortly before the Revolution. Inside, the architectural homogeneity is remarkable and a beautiful light illuminates this very sober building over which Pidou-Berlu watches! It was classified as a Historic Monument in 1862. It is characterised by its lantern bell tower, the rose windows of the transept and the gallery of the nave. The church has 50 sculptures of faces from the Gothic period; among them, these young and leafy heads or the triple and crowned one called the Pidou-Berlu, which is, in fact, a representation of the Holy Trinity.
The Mâcon tile standard built into the wall of the church explains the 15th century name Notre-Dame des Panneaux (ecclesia Nostrae Dominae de panellis). In the 15th century, the Gothic church of Notre-Dame served as a repository for weights and measures. Located at the heart of urban activities, it had the privilege of preserving the "panels", or legal measurement standards for grains, flours, categories of bread, as well as tiles and roof tiles.