The Monks’ Chapel dates from the 11th century. It was originally part of the Cluaniac monastic priory in Marcigny-en- Brionnais. In 1893 the chapel was classified as a Historic Monument. The chapel is celebrated for its paintings, considered to be the most beautiful example of Cluniac Romanesque art, and which are very probably the work of artists brought together by Saint Hugues during his journeys to Mont-Cassin. The connection with the Byzantine art of Cappadocia is clear, as is the connection with paintings in Roman sanctuaries of the same period. The paintings here enable us to imagine the decoration, now long gone, used in the Cluny III abbey church.
Services : Shop
Speaking languages : French, English
Payment methods : Credit card, Cheques and postal orders, Holiday vouchers, Cash, Visa